Wednesday, January 30, 2013

OpenNI old version 1.x on Windows 8

PrimeSense released ther OpenNI 2.0 version without too much concern about their previous versions.

I am trying to figure out what they did with their older versions and how you can install the old version on Windows 8..

Here are the sources to the old OpenNI version
https://github.com/OpenNI

Here is the driver by avin:
https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect 
some more driver versions:
https://github.com/avin2/SensorKinect/downloads

In this may 2012 forum post, avin adds this note: This version must be used with OpenNI 1.5.4.0! It will not work or compile with previous versions so please be sure to install it.
I'm also going to add support for Kinect4Windows as soon as I get my
hands on one (which will finally happen next week).

Finally I found this download that contains:
  openni-win64-1.5.4.0-dev
  nite-win64-1.5.2.21-dev
  sensor-win64-5.1.2.1-redist
  SensorKinect092-Bin-Win64-v5.1.2.1
maybe this works 

3 comments:

  1. hi! i have the same problem... did u get any advance on solve this issue? did u install openNI on windows 8?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tiago
    thanks for the e-mail, I couldnt remember, so I reinstalled that download from simpleopenni on my updated windows 8.1 version and all samples worked, including the NITE usertracker, it's quite nice actually because from what I vaguely remember is that it didn't work on the windows 8.0 version ..

    Hope this works cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. forgot to mention, only tried it with an Xtion sensor driver, but I guess it should work with Kinect sensor driver as well
    they are two separate drivers u can find there in the zip
    I only have an xtion around at the moment

    ReplyDelete